Monday, October 21, 2013

Today is the First Day of My New Life!

What if someone would say to you, "When you wake up tomorrow, your life as you know it will be gone and a new life will begin for you.  This new life will be a "do-over," a start-over for you.  Your past is a white blank page and you may write on it whatever you desire to create the life you want now until you take your last breath."  How would you react to that?

Beginning again.  Late in life. Early in life.  Poor.  Rich.  Beginning again is something that anyone can do at any point in their life.  Sometimes people refer to life transition as chapters.  The next chapter for example.  I prefer the do-over.  Why? you may ask a do-over?  Because the next chapter follows the same story-line, which in itself is limiting.  A blank sheet has infinite possibilities. A next chapter follows a past; good, bad or indifferent.  At least for me, I want to shut the door on the past and embrace a new tomorrow that promises hope not just for me, but for others.

Here is an exercise if you too want to embrace a "brand new tomorrow, today."

Take your blank sheet of paper, and write, draw, and describe your new life now.  What does it look like? Who is in it? How does it sound?  How does it smell?  Where is it?

Figure out where you are heading in this new change to "do over" your life and then make the plans to do it.   Don't be vague.  Don't write at a high level.  "Be happy" is a high level.  Dig down beneath the shallows and describe what would make you happy?  Remember that rarely do people, things, events or money make you happy.  Happiness is something that comes from within.  It is a love of who you are, what you do for others and yourself, what you create, what you leave behind, what you fill your mind with, what you dream of ...these are the things that create happiness.

In my own life, on my own new blank page I write....Today is the First Day of My New Life.

I am:

Grateful for another day to meet and embrace new friends. To start a career which will help me bring about financial security in my old age.  To show love to my family. To pursue three new ministry opportunities (Handiwork 4 Him), my book and bible study Pray.Love.Forgive. a trilogy; and my life as an itinerant female evangelist.

Although I shut the door on my past, I recognize that all I have come through was just the rehearsal for today's new life.  

All life is a journey, at least for me.  I know I cannot be alone in this thinking.  Explore this:

Today, you will not breathe the same.  You will take long deep breaths all day long filling your lungs and body with a different air.  This air holds promise for your future.  Today you will not see the same.  Your eyes will not be drawn to the shallow and the gaudy, but to the beautiful in spirit.  Today you will not hear the same.  Today your ears will be filled with sounds of beauty in music and conversation and "sounds" of silence and nature.  Today your mind is full of possibilities.  Who you will become in your new life and how that new woman/man will leave a lasting legacy for family and those in this world who need your voice of encouragement and inspiration.

"There was nothing of the nature of impulsive or thoughtless action about our Lord, but only a calm strength that never got into a panic. "-O.C.

This is something from the past that I am no longer bound to.  Impulsiveness.  That is not who I am any more.  We may say, "But God made me this way with this personality - to move quickly and ahead!  To do great things for Him!"  No, God wants us to slow down and live in His presence among all the ordinary things and people of this life.  On my blank page today, my future, I will write, Slow Down.  Be Ordinary.  These two things will rule my thoughts, actions and spirit today.  For a person who has been impulsive this will create a huge shift of sight.  Back to the blank page, "Today is the first day of the rest of my new life."  I WAS, but now I AM.  I was fast, and quick and full of energy.  Now I am confident, relaxed, and disciplined.  What does that look like?  Confidence has no need to show because you know you are capable, intelligent and more than enough.  Relaxed does not rush, or act quickly. Relaxed is slow to speak.  Relaxed is a listener. Relaxed has time to embrace others. Disciplined knows how to say no to the impulsive things.  Disciplined knows how to wait for the best and not settle for the mediocre.  Waiting for the best does not mean inactivity.  It means walking in this life while keeping your eyes on the future and the steps to attain the best.  It is methodical, relaxed and confident that you are smart enough, kind enough and strong enough to walk through this life that you were born into, but ultimately don't belong to.

Today is a gift.  This earth and all the things in it are gifts.  Open them. Explore them.  Choose the gifts wisely.  Remember that all are permissible but not all are for the betterment of the body and spirit.

Be blessed bright ones.  I will see you tomorrow.

Pastor Cat #Lightleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment