Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Prickly Pear or Whisker Soft?

 "How are we going to get a life that has no lust, no self-interest, and is not sensitive to the ridicule of others? How will we have the type of love that “is kind . . . is not provoked, [and] thinks no evil”? (1 Corinthians 13:4-5). The only way is by allowing nothing of the old life to remain, and by having only simple, perfect trust in God— such a trust that we no longer want God’s blessings, but only want God Himself." - Oswald Chambers

I want that kind of love.  I have always wanted the whisker soft kind of love that covers everyone I am around with smiles, laughter, comfort, care and kindness.  That is who I want to be.  The issue seems to be, at least for me, that I am that soft woman as long as life and those in my life are the same.  My expectation of myself is based on my expectations of others.  I am soft, they are soft, all is good.  But what happens when I am soft, and they are prickly?  I pause, and breath deep, and return soft and get hit with prickly....again.  The old me, the carnal me, would snap back with a few thorns of my own, or walk away vowing never to open my soft under belly to that pear again.  Their actions do not meet my expectations and as a result I am disappointed.  

I think I am not alone in this, based on the number of relational problems that exist between people I know.  Putting expectations on anyone other than yourself is a sure-fire way to anger, frustration and disappointment.  The only kind of love that we can give to others is the un-conditional type that says, "You are who you are and I love you just like you are. Prickly, soft, thorny or fuzzy. (I particularly like fuzzy, but that's another blog)."

After all, that is what Jesus did for us, in a particularly exposed, public and grandiose way.  He gave love, we gave thorns, and He loved us anyway and went to the Cross.  That is unconditional love.  The kind that is not provoked, thinks no evil, shows no self-interest and is kind to the unkind.

The only measuring stick for your life is your expectation of yourself in light of who you are as a human being, and in my case, a human being who believes in God, the Father, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit.  If I am measuring myself against any other yardstick but the one set out for me by the One I submit to, than I am doomed to be depressed in this life. Because people and situations are prickly.

The way of unconditional love is found in the Word, in Prayer and in Submission.  To understand God, we must spend time with Him.  We must study His nature.  We must commune with Him in prayer and we must submit to His calling for us.

A prickly nature is a sign of carnality.  Thin-skinned. Judgmental  Critical. Mean-spirited.  Gossip.  Slander. Vengeful. These are not of the Spirit. Love. Patience. Forgiveness. Self-Control. Joy.Peace.Faithfulness.Kindness.Goodness.  These traits are evidence of the Holy Spirit working in and through us.

Do we pray for God's blessings?  Or do we pray with no expectation other than God is our Father, our Friend, our Protector, our Guidance, our Strength?  Perhaps it is time to take inventory of our own exterior.  Are we prickly? Or whisker soft?

"Father.  Today I pray Lord that if there be any sin, condemnation or judgement in me, that you would reveal it, that I may turn from that way and put my eyes on You as my soul/sole provider.  Give me your eyes that I might be love to someone in need today.  Give me your arms that I might embrace someone who is struggling today.  Give me your heart that I might be kind to all - no matter how evil or thorny - so that my testimony of who I am in Christ might be reflected in all I do.  I know I have far to go Lord, but I place my hand in yours and submit my will as I walk the path you take me."

Your daughter,

Cathy

Be Blessed Bright Ones.  #Lightleaning.



No comments:

Post a Comment