Friday, July 12, 2013

Looking Beyond Yourself during Times of Transition.

It's Friday afternoon Change Heroines, and before I get ready to meet friends for dinner I thought I would post a quick blog about when we are in the middle of change.  Many years ago I worked as a marketing director for the longest running dinner theatre in the country.  I loved my job - but I will admit - I was also getting a bit bored with it.  A new boss came in, he wanted his boyfriend to have the job, and I was----well O.U.T. 

It was a time much like today when there were lots of people looking for jobs and lots of folks who had lost jobs.  I sat on my bum for a few weeks filling out applications and getting frustrated with my lack of success - and I thought "I have GOT to be doing something to help others who are in my same situation." So I started a weeknight group for those who had lost jobs.  We talked resumes and job possibilities, but mostly, we just talked about how we felt to be let go - how we felt to be unemployed - etc. etc. etc.  And we prayed for each other and for the families affected and we helped each other the best we could.

Some of the greatest ideas, works of art, music, books etc. have all been accomplished by people going through major change.  Change forces us to get creative.  Change forces us to reach out to others for help.  Change forces us to re-establish relationships.

During this most recent change for me, I remembered way back when I began the support group for unemployed people.  I remembered the lessons of taking my eyes off myself and giving to others.  As a result, I will start leading worship at a small church in Bloomington with a congregation of 20 something and a single female pastor.  There are no musicians, no praise team, no choir, no sound tech, no media person.  There is a single female pastor and twenty or so people who want to worship on Sunday morning and they need someone to lead them.

I could have said "No. The drive is too long. I have to be paid. Yada, yada, yada," but instead I remembered what a seasoned director once told me "there are no small parts....only small actors."

I don't want to be a small actor Change Heroines - and neither do you.  Everyone has a part whether it is  big, small or otherwise.  God has called us to use our gifts and talents where He sees fit, not where we see fit.  Humility, service, willingness and obedience.

While you are in the middle of your change....be a change heroine for someone else :-)

Blessings in your transition.





**Cathy is a writer, speaker and worship leader.  Contact her for speaking engagements at cwoolaway@yahoo.com or at 217 521 2070.

No comments:

Post a Comment