Thursday, May 16, 2013

Changing the Habit of Self-pity.

"No sin is worse than the sin of self-pity, because it removes God from the throne of our lives, replacing Him with our own self-interests. It causes us to open our mouths only to complain, and we simply become spiritual sponges— always absorbing, never giving, and never being satisfied. And there is nothing lovely or generous about our lives."
--Chambers

Good morning change heroine!  Have you been clicking your heels together?  There's no place like Change?  Today as I read my devotion I was struck by Chambers words regarding self-pity.  He done me wrong, she done me wrong, they done me wrong.  Get used to it - they is always gonna do you wrong :-)  When we are legitimately "done wrong" we need a large amount of strength to change our emotional reactions from "he done me" to "forgive easily, it's never about you anyway."  The only way to change something about yourself is to first of all surrender it to the One who will purify your spirit and refine it to be of purpose and good use for others.  In the case of "self-pity" every time you feel that ugly emotion starting to well up in you - deal with it.  Don't squash it.  Don't exercise it out, or eat it out, or shop it out or indulge your carnal nature in any fashion.  Pray it out.  Yep.  Even if you aren't necessarily a believer right now?  Try it....just pray it out to God.  Try this - 

"God, I don't want to wallow in self-pity.  Cleanse me of these emotions.  I may not be able to forgive today - but You can put forgiveness in me.  God I long to change the habit of falling into self-pity and grabbing on to something that might sooth my emotions immediately but ultimately never helps me change.  I want to rid myself of this cycle.  Help me God to Pray.Love.Forgive."

Another way is to pray the "Our Father" prayer.  Our Father which art in heaven hallowed be Thy Name .  Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory forever.  Amen. - The Lord's Prayer

10 - 30 minutes as the self pity begins to engulf you.  Click three times "There's no place like change."  Change your bad habit of emotional self pity and the habits that encompass it - and develop the habit of being self-confident knowing that all circumstances ultimately change in our lives, move forward and seek not just the good but the better and best in our lives.

 “All my springs are in You” (Psalm 87:7). If the majesty, grace, and power of God are not being exhibited in us, God holds us responsible. “God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you . . . may have an abundance . . .” (2 Corinthians 9:8)— then learn to lavish the grace of God on others, generously giving of yourself. Be marked and identified with God’s nature, and His blessing will flow through you all the time. - Chambers

Be blessed today change heroines.  And share your own change stories with me - I would love to hear them.

Cathy is a speaker, worship leader and agent for change leadership.  You may contact her for workshops, speaking engagements or one on one discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment